Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Central Line continues to ooze.

Every time they clean the catheter, they distrub the stitches and it starts to bleed again. Then the dressing gets full of blood and it has to be changed. It stops bleeding over night. Then they clean it and it starts to bleed........... I have been to the Hospital to have the dressing changed three times since Tuesday and this is getting old! When I go in Sunday (7/25), I am going to suggest that they do not clean it. Just change the dressing and let me go until I check-in for the procedure on Wednesday, 7/28. Clean it then so that I don't have to drive again for a dressing change every day.

3 comments:

  1. Your harvest was good. Online I read statements about 5 days to collect 4 million cells. We know about following boring procedures, perhaps the data is relevant to finding an alternative to stitches. I believe they use staples sometimes.
    You are doing very well. Keeping the bacteria count down sounds important,
    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George,

    I have a cousin who was diagnosed with end stage multiple myeloma about 3 1/2 years ago. She worked with Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Chicago and went through what sounds like exactly the same treatment plan you are having. They spent the better part of two years giving her chemo and trying to build her up to the point where they could collect enough of her stem cells. Finally, although they would like to have gotten more, they got the minimum amount they felt they needed (~2 million), and went through the transplant procedure.

    That was nearly 1 1/2 years ago, and she is doing very well. It bodes well for you that they were able to harvest so many of your stem cells.

    Sorry to hear you've been having such difficulty with the cleaning of the catheter, but that problem will soon be in the past. My cousin said the most difficult of all the procedures that she went through during her treatment was the collection of the stem cells. After reading your blog, I'm thinking you would probably agree.

    Best wishes, and I look forward to your updates.

    Sam Messina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi George (and Sue too)
    I am following your blog and so appreciate knowing what is happening on a regular basis. We think of you both so often and know that you are in our prayers. Hugs to you both. Marjie Anderson and Jerry too!

    ReplyDelete